Tuesday, November 08, 2005

John Fowles In Memoriam



John Fowles, the author of one of my all-time favourite books, The Magus (1965/revised 1977), has died at the age of 79. He also penned such books as The Collector (1963) and The French Lieutenant's Woman, both known as film adaptations (there is also a film version of The Magus, starring Michael Caine, but it is generally considered a disaster).

John Fowles: The Website

John Fowles @ Wikipedia

Obituaries:

BBC News
CNN
The New York Times

1 comment:

Juri said...

I read THE MAGUS when I'd broken up with my wife and started dating the current one. I needed the book. I needed to sit for hours on end and just to read the book and not think about anything else (and not just because it had nothing to do with any work I was doing at the time). And the final words were a revelation to me.

It's the only Fowles novel I've read (besides THE COLLECTOR), but it means much to me.